At Covenant, worship is the most important thing we do! Our traditional worship patterns remind us that God is the center of who we are and what we believe. Our congregation is caring, friendly and generous, and always ready to lend its energies where there is a need.
We celebrate communion the first Sunday of the month at Covenant, and all are welcome at this table for the meal that Christ has prepared. Communion is also served on other liturgically-designated Sundays and at other special services.
Members of our congregation who use wheelchairs have helped us ensure that we are handicapped-accessible. Large-print service bulletins are available. For older children, activity sheets for use during the service are available in our Narthex. Tweens and teens are encouraged to actively participate in worship, including serving as ushers, reading scripture and giving Moment for Mission messages. We support scholarships to church activities for young people, with a loose coin offering during each service.
Covenant Presbyterian Church was founded in 1958 with the purchase of four acres of land on SE Division Street. Services were first held in 1959 in the small Brown Chapel, under the organizing pastors the Rev. John Phillips and the Rev. J. Boyd Patterson. The Rev. Glen House became the pastor in 1961, the same year that our first woman Elder, Arliss Rolph, was ordained. In 1966, the Rev. Neil Brown became the pastor, and in 1978, The Revs. Tom and Patty Campbell-Schmidt became co-pastors. Patty was one of the first woman pastors in the Pacific Northwest. In 1990, the Rev. Bill Russell became the pastor, serving until 2004. Patricia Berger served as pastor from 2006 until her retirement in June 2017. After two years with interim pastor the Rev. Dr. Barbara Campbell, a new pastor was called. The Rev. Joshua Dunham started in October, 2019.
Our Mission Statement
Open to wherever
God, in Christ, leads us,
we seek to live out our faith
in community, by offering hope
and standing together for justice.
The Reverend Joshua Dunham serves as our Pastor.
The Reverend S. Ann Richards, HR, serves as our Parish Assistant.
David Wimett serves as our Director of Music.
Rob Hendrickson serves as our accompanist and organist.